Important Note – Safety Is a Priority!
Hey, it’s us again. Before we move on to the Poker table ideas, we would like to take a moment and say something important. Firstly, some of the crafts may require a little bit more materials and instruments that might not be laying around at your house (or flat). In this case, it’s absolutely okay to seek help from a pro and get the table done for you. Secondly, be extremely careful! If you want to play ‘Fix-it-Felix’ and do things yourself, be cautious and take your time with the project. You don’t want a sloppy table nor a missing finger! Lastly – have fun! DIY projects are supposed to be fun and relaxing, not something that would make you anxious or make you want to wreck everything! Invite friends to help you out – the more helping hands there are, the better! But don’t worry, not all the projects involve tools and wood and stuff like that. You’ll see! Now, let’s really get started!
How To Make a Poker Table?
Are you ready? Great! In the next few paragraphs, we will share some tips and tricks to make your home an even better one with a Poker table, which you can play on Saturday night with the guys (Or girls, ladies also know how to play their cards right! Badum-tssss! Hahaha…khm, okay…). Like we’ve said before, not all the projects are actually DIY ones but are still affordable and we guarantee you’ll still have a lot of fun! Here we go!
Kitchen Table Makeover
In every household, there is a kitchen table. What if you use your kitchen table? Here are a couple ways to make it look a bit more like a poker table:
- Buy a green/red tablecloth and do the markings of a real poker table with fabric paint, to make it more casino-ish. This way you’ll bring a bit of the spirit with a quick fix.
- Buy a pre-made Poker table layout – it could be either from a tablecloth material or something like a playing mat. Both are affordable, easy to use and will turn your table into the ultimate Poker one!
- If you have an old kitchen table that you’re planning to change – don’t throw it away. Keep it and buy a poker speed cloth or felt and upholster the top. Cool right! To be more creative, but of course, depends on what is your current table, you can cut holes and glue cup holders.
The Actual DIY Poker Table Project
And we’ve made it to the actual DIY part of the blog post! There are a lot of tutorials online and a lot of them are pretty legit – we couldn’t choose to describe or recommend you only one. Therefore, we made basic step-by-step instructions for building a typical poker table and we will do our best to explain each step and give you some information about the materials you should use and the tools you will need. Let’s begin!
- Hole Saw
- Belt or Palm Sander
- Needle-Nose Pliers
- Level for tracing lines
- Exacto Knife
- Screw Driver
- Heavy Duty Stapler
- 2 sheets Plywood
- Wood Screws
- Wood Glue
- 8 T-Nuts
- 8 Machine Bolts
- 8 Washers
- Wood Stain
- Fold-Away Legs
- Or Wood Legs
- Staples – a pack of 1000
- Speed Cloth
Keep in mind that we’re not mentioning the size nor the number of all the materials listed. The measurements and the instructions we provide are general guidelines and may vary, depending on the person who makes the table. However, for oval one you may take 2 sheets 3/4’’ Plywood 84’’ by 42’’ for example. Also, you can buy some cup-holders to build in the table. This is all your choice!
Now, how to do it? We recommend you grab a friend or two to help you out – as we said, some help won’t do any harm!
- Trace the shape and cut lines on the plywood. Then go ahead and take out the jigsaw. Work slowly and carefully! It may take longer, but it’s important to do it right and without any injuries. Afterwards, sand the edges with the sander.
- The next step includes glueing and screwing the pieces together to make the rail and to have the whole shape of the table. Here, you could use some extra plywood to make the rail of the table higher. Once everything is glued and screwed together, it’s time to attach the legs. You could either use fold-away legs or wooden legs – it’s your table, you decide!
- Assemble everything and clamp together to drill the holes for the T-nuts. Use a hammer to drive the T-nuts into the rail surface.
- It’s time to add foam and upholster the rail – remove the rail from the table and get into it. Use spray adhesive and place heavy objects and clamp the straight sides while everything dries. Pro tip: make sure the foam is a little bit wider than the rail so that you could fold it over and make it secure. Re-apply as much spray adhesive as needed to keep everything in place and then cut the excess with an Exacto knife.
- Now, the vinyl – start by stapling one straight edge. Make sure you have enough vinyl to stretch it around the other side and make it look smooth. Staple the round edges by starting at the middle of the curve. Take your time – it’s definitely a longer project to do, but it’s worth it!
- Cut the holes for the cup holders by making an ‘X’ shape in the middle of the holes and work your way through until you get, well, a hole!
- Almost done! It’s time for the playing surface. Basically, you do the same thing that you did with the rail – spray adhesive and foam, cut the extra, staple the speed cloth, secure everything in place and cut the excess.
- Finally, attach everything together and your table is all done! Whew, we don’t know about you, but we sure did break a sweat!
There are a lot of ways for a hand-made poker table to look, so even if we show a completed product it wouldn’t matter as when you finish your project it will differ as it will be unique. However, while doing our research we spotter a bad-ass poker table with a lot of lovely features, so check it out and you might steal some ideas to embed in your own project.
And the Easiest Way – Go Buy A Table From Amazon
Yup, we said it! If you’re not into these kinds of crafts, you can simply go to Amazon and buy a table, ready for a great game night with friends. There may be some pricey ones, but there are also very affordable tables that will serve you well for a long time! There are circular ones, there are foldable ones and, if you want to go the extra mile and be fancy – you can buy a full-on poker table, suitable for a real casino! Whatever you choose, we’re sure you and your friends would like it a lot and would have a great time! If even that sounds like too much of a hassle, you might be better off playing at one of the best online poker sites in the UK.
There You Have It!
And there you have it! This is all that we’ve got for this blog post! We hope you enjoyed reading and that you’ve got some ideas for your future poker table or why not a whole room? This table will be perfect for your casino-themed party or for your future gambling room at home! Would you try and make your own Poker table? Do you have any special tips and tricks to share that we’ve missed? Make sure you follow us and share on our social media! We’d love to hear from you! See you soon!